I am receiving an unusual number of calls right now from QuickBooks users who can no longer get into QuickBooks. They get a message like “QuickBooks has stopped working”, or “QuickBooks has encountered a problem and must be closed”. Or they don’t get an error message, but QuickBooks won’t run all of a sudden.

This problem is showing up in the comments of other blog posts too.

All of these calls and posts have two things in common:

1. The users are using Windows 10, which just installed an update
  2. The users are using a version of QuickBooks older than the 2015 version

Many of the users are frustrated and confused. Several have told me, “I know this is an old version of QuickBooks, but it was working just fine until today!”

Here’s the deal: Only QuickBooks 2015 or higher is certified to work correctly with Windows 10.

The users I’ve been talking to seem to have been using older versions of QuickBooks under Windows 10 without any problems…until last week! Once the Windows update was installed, their computer couldn’t run QuickBooks anymore.

I don’t know of a workaround for this in the old QuickBooks versions, or if a workaround will come. The oldest version of QuickBooks that Intuits still supports is 2014, and I will be quite surprised if they provide any kind of patch to the pre-2014 versions.

If you are running old QuickBooks and haven’t yet installed the Windows 10 update, I suppose you could turn off Windows Updates, and keep that update from hitting your computer (if it hasn’t already). But it’s not a good idea to freeze your installation of Windows and stop updating it. Bad security, bad IT strategy. So that’s not a good long-term solution.

The only ongoing solution I can think of right now is to get a version of QuickBooks that is coded to work correctly with Windows 10: QuickBooks 2015, QuickBooks 2016, or QuickBooks 2017. Sorry, no magic bullet for the old stuff. If I hear of anything, though, I’ll post it here.

Have any of you encountered this problem and found a solution?

RELATED: How to Transfer Files from Older Version to New Version of QuickBooks

114 thoughts on “Windows 10 + Older QuickBooks = Fail?

1. Here’s how I got my QB Pro 2011 to work again after the Windows update prevented it from opening. I disconnect my computer from the internet by taking out the ethernet cable. If you’re on WiFi to the internet, disconnect that. Then my QB pro 2011 opens normally. I do whatever I have to do within QB, and, when I’m done, I close QB, and reconnect to the internet.
    My son suggested this fix, and it works.

• I agree, this another way QuickBooks forces you to buy a new QuickBooks even when there is nothing wrong with the current version.

2. I am currently having problems with backing up my data to my local drive or removable drive since I upgrade to windows ten. I am only allowed to backup to quickbooks online. I AM SO FRUSTRATED I am ready to buy a different bookkeeping software. Each time I tried to backup to any other drives I get an error message that I don’t have enough space on my f-drive which is never my intended drive but even when I change/redirect to other drives that have plenty space for the backup data I still get the same error message. I feel screwed.

3. If you disconnect from your wi-fi the program will work. If you want to remain connected to the wi-fi while using an older version of Quickbooks, you will need to look at your firewall or antivirus program and block outgoing connection requests from Quickbooks.

4. Pingback: QuickBooks 2014 Stops Working After Windows 10 Anniversary Update - Deduced Tech

5. I wanted to confirm that blocking QuickBooks from accessing the internet fixes the problem. My issue was that I am running Quickbooks Enterprise 11 and needed to have it still be able to access the local network so that it could talk to the server. Setting the scope of the firewall rule to be “Internet” was what I needed.

• Blocking the internet did not work for me. I am getting run time errors.

If blocking the inernet (communication with intuit) allows the software to work, then Intuit is forcible preventing the software from working. Intuit seems to like to strong arm rob its’ customers.

6. After this tax season I will not use Quickbooks but find another system to invoice and send out bills…..It is a scam….Id be will to bet Shannon works for Intuit…yes or no…

7. I’m so glad I found this page! Like others, I was getting the error message about “QB stopped working and the program will close” probably around September 2016. I have Quickbooks Pro 2011 Desktop and Windows 10. At that time I called Intuit and was told to hold down the ALT key for a few seconds after I entered my password. That worked until February 20, 2017. When I chatted online with someone at Intuit, I was told I needed to upgrade to a newer version of QB. I found this page, I turned off my internet WiFi connection, and now it works.

8. I have quickbooks 2017 on windows 10 with outlook 2016 and it freezes almost every transaction. apparently outlook 2016 doesnt work with 2017 QB. Its not just emailing invoices, its all transactions. I can do one at a time and then it freezes. What a joke…

9. Perhaps it’s the times. These days there are rampant claims of fake news, and in this case I suspect a “fake” problem. In the absence of a network connection my QB 2010 can’t get the word that it’s supposed to encounter a problem, so it runs just fine. With an internet connection it exhibits the problem everyone who finds this webpage is complaining about.

I think that it’s fair game to leave older software unsupported when operating systems evolve and diverge from the product. But it’s unconscionable for the vendor to design software to fail “on command” within the context of a viable OS, e.g. Windows 10 version 1607 (OS build 14393.693). Intuit may have done this, and like other fake news it ought to be investigated. I suggest users harmed by this apparent manipulation contact their state attorneys general and advocate an investigation to determine if fraud is a factor.

10. Brilliant! I have been searching for over a week and trying all sorts of things to fix my problem. Unrecoverable error message, QuickBooks Pro 2011 and upgrade to Windows 10. So glad I found this because it works! Thanks!