QuickBooks 2015 has now been released. What’s new? What’s to like? Here are a few new things that caught my eye.
1. Better Dashboard. It’s called “Insights”, and it is a tab next to the Home Page. I like how it now shows a Net Income trend, and not merely total income and expenses. I asked for this feature in a 2012 blog post. The old “Company Snapshot”, which has graphs in it that “Insights” does not, is still available at Company / Company Snapshot.
2. Pinned Note for Customers. If you have a bunch of notes for a customer, this new feature allows you to specify which one shows up on the Customer screen. A small improvement, but if your customer notes are important, this helps you see what you want to see on the Customer screen. It keeps you from having to open up the Notes tab and scrolling around.
3. Comments on Reports. On any report, you can click “Comment on Report”.
The report will then show a little comment bubble next to each dollar amount. You can click on any of those comment bubbles and add text in a text entry window that will appear at the bottom of the screen. When you save your comment, it will number your comments and show them as footnotes at the bottom of the report. Nice!
4. Sorting Columns on Forms (Enterprise only). Another small change, but important if you need it. On your input forms, you can click on the column by which you want the line items sorted (in the screenshot below, “DESCRIPTION” has been selected for sort order).
5. Showing Cost on Sales Transactions (Enterprise only). If you want to show line item costs on your sales entry screens, you can now do so. You click the “Customize Data Layout” button, then the “Columns” tab, and check “Cost”. That will enable a Cost column on your screen, which will automatically be populated.
Have you tried QuickBooks 2015 yet? What do you think?