Maybe you’ve found yourself in this situation:

* You use QuickBooks 2016 and your client uses QuickBooks 2017. They want to send you their file for review.

* You have an old computer with an old version of QuickBooks on it, and you want to open up your current QB file on that computer.

* Your computer crashes and dies. You buy a new computer. When you go to install QuickBooks, you can only find your install disk for an earlier version. You install it anyway. You restore the backup you made to the cloud (whew!), but it was made by a later version of QuickBooks.

In all of these cases, you are trying to use an old version of QuickBooks to open a new file.

It doesn’t work.

QuickBooks is backwards compatible — it can open and convert files made from earlier versions — but it is not forwards compatible. If you think about it, there’s no way it could be. The version of QuickBooks you have installed on your system today doesn’t know what future releases of QuickBooks will be like, including their revised data structures.

You see, most new releases of QuickBooks come with internal changes to the database. That’s why the size of your QuickBooks file changes when you upgrade to a newer version. It almost always grows. And that’s why, when you upgrade your file to a newer version, QuickBooks gives you a warning that that change to your file is irrevocable.

So the bottom line is that, unfortunately, you can never use an older version to open a newer file. You can never open a QuickBooks 2017 file with QuickBooks 2016, as one example.

The solution is simple, if not free: get a version of QuickBooks that is equal to or later than the version of the QuickBooks file you are trying to open.

error

150 thoughts on “Can Older Versions of QuickBooks Open Newer Versions’ Files?

• Hi Tom,

It shouldn’t be…you should be able to open a Pro 2007 file with Pro 2013, and it will convert and upgrade it automatically. You don’t want to do that on a USB drive though. Copy the 2007 file to the …\company files folder on your C: drive or server drive, and then open it with QB 2013 there.

If you still have problems, then the 2007 file is likely corrupted in some way, and you’d have to get the file repaired and upgraded for you.

Thanks for the question.

1. The link to Amazon has QBks Pro 2013 for $169.95. Would this be a version usable in Australia? I have considered upgrading but prices I’ve seen here are around $1500 for a desktop version. I don’t want to have to be online when I’m doing the bookwork. Also what happens when the Banking access expires? Can the products still be used in the old fashioned way by manually entering chqs etc for reconciliation or must we pay again for an upgrade? I’m also a bit daunted by the possible dramas of upgrading from my 2003 version.

• Hi Ann,

If you have an Australian QB 2003 version now, the file will not convert to the US version. QB files are not convertable across different countries’ versions, sorry.

Thanks for the question.

2. its a real shame that there is such a cost differential. Plus the new naming of products must confuse people into purchasing the wrong programs. I really don’t need the bells & whistles of a new version but I worry about the old one dying or the laptop its on dying. The cost of the Aust full version is scary & being held to ransom (sort of) by an annual payment for other versions frustrates me.

• Intuit is in to it for one thing only — your cash. They don’t give a flying F about their customers – to them you are nothing but a cow.

3. I installed QB 2014 and now I cannot find my QB 2011. Have I lost all my information? I looked everywhere and in the only place I can see QB 2011 is on Desk Top but it will not open at all. What to do?

• Hello Yoli,

When you install the 2014 version, it shouldn’t do anything to the 2011 version that you had there before. Did you uninstall 2011? If you click Start / All Programs, do you see QuickBooks 2011 on the list? If so, try running it from there rather than your desktop icon.

Thanks for the question.

4. I have a client using quickbooks 2010 on his main server and his PC. Recently he purchased a new computer with windows 8 that only took QB 2014 so in order to use the company file located on the main server i had to update the file. I created a backup incase the programs weren’t able to open the updated file, which turned out to be the case. My question is, is there anyway that his QB 2010 and the new pc w/ QB 2014 can still open the same company file located on the Main Server running QB 2010?

• Hi Claudia,

Once QuickBooks 2014 opens a file, it changes it so that prior versions can’t open it anymore. So I’m afraid that what you are asking is not possible. The options would be to either install QB 2014 on all those computers, or put 2010 on the new computer and see if it works OK under Windows 8. (I’m pretty sure that QB 2010 is not certified to run under Windows 8).

Thanks for the question.

• I want to clarify because we are looking to update our QB on our server. I thought QB was backwards compatible. Was Claudia not able to open the updated file because it was such a large jump between QB 2010 to QB 2014?

• Hi Ana,

No, it’s because once QB 2014 updates the file to QB 2014 format, QB 2010 can’t open it anymore. If the file updates to 2014 OK, and all the workstations and the server have QB 2014 installed on them, then everything should work fine. Hope that helps.

5. I am helping a small business with their company files. They have upgraded to Quickbooks 2013. I have 2012. I am planning to download an upgrade but am not sure if I should use 2013 or 2014 at this point. I’d rather go with the newest version if I am going to upgrade but if I create portable company files I will not be able to restore to her computer with the 2013 version, correct? I guess we could manually enter the transactions but I am thinking it would be safer at this time to buy 2013? Thanks.

• Hi Deb,

I’m not quite clear on what your role with their data would be. If they have 2013, and you get 2013, everything will be fine. If you get 2014 and upgrade their data to that, then send them a portable copy (or any other form of the file) they won’t be able to use it with their 2013 software. Let me know if I’m not understanding your question…

6. Yes, that is what I thought about compatibility. I decided to go with 2014; wanted the newest version. Thanks for your reply.

7. we currently have Quickbooks 2007 non-profit and need to upgrade the computer, and therefore the Quickbooks. Anything we need to know in order to smoothly upgrade from 2007 to 2014?

8. We have quickbooks 1013 but the auditors us 2011 and need me to send the file to them.
    how do i send a portable file stepped down to version 2011?

9. I currently have QB Premier 2010 Accountant Edition working on an old PC that is about to give up the ghost.
    I have backed all of my files up to a USB drive so hopefully I will be able to open then on a new PC.
    I have lost/misplaced my installation disc.
    I do have my license # and Product Code#.
    I can see the original installation files on my hard drive. Will I be able to copy these installation files and install on my new PC (Windows 8)

• I should have added , will I be able to open my 2010 files in say 2014 Prem if I have to buy that (If the installation files cannot be copied onto my new PC)

Finally, I run 3 different companies in my 2010 edition, is this something I can do with the 2014 edition

• Hi Karl,

OK, a number of issues there:

* You can’t copy your installation to the new computer. You have to install the programs from install files. You can download the install files from this page: http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/ProductUpdates.aspx

* If/when you choose to upgrade to Premier 2014, and install that new version on your computer, your company data files will automatically update to the new version when you first open them with the new version.

* You can run as many companies in 2010 (or other versions) as you want.

Hope that helps. Thanks for the questions.

10. Hi Karl,
    as you seem to reply very quickly, here are my 2 questions:
    our configuration is 3 quickbook 2013 working on 2 companies file in multi user mode
    and we have one new laptop windows 7 with quickbook 2014 … will it change or not the 2 companies files at the first use of it on the laptop ?

second question more dramatic:
    now on this laptop when we want to open one of this company file we have the error : This file was not created with the U.S version of QuickBooks
    What can we do to correct the problem ?

Thank you very much !

• Hi Karl,

We try our best…

Yes, if you open your companies with 2014, it will upgrade those companies to the 2014 version, and you would no longer be able to open them under QB 2013.

There are different versions of QuickBooks for different countries, and it would appear that your companies were created under a country version other than the US…Canadian? UK? You won’t be able to open the file unless you have the correct country’s version installed.

Thanks for the follow up questions.

11. Hi Mr.Karl,
    My prior accountant had used quick books 2012 version right now i am using 2014 version, now cannot find the old company files!!! so please let me know how can i restore the old company in quick books

12. HI Siva,

So you can search for *.QBW and *.QBB to find either the original company files, or backups. You should be able to then either open or restore them in your 2014 version. Good luck, and thanks for the question.

13. My accountant is using quickbooks accountant 2012. There are some posting errors that will save time if i can do it. the problem is that i am not finding that version to buy and download. is there any other quickbooks that is compatible with opening files from the accountant edition?

14. Hi we are running quickbooks pro 8 (2000) and want to upgrade what version can we use to convert the file/account to say pro 2010?

• John,

Theoretically, you could install QB Pro 2010, open your QuickBooks Pro 8 file, and it would convert. Sometimes, however, it has problems jumping over the 14 or so intermediary versions. But you could give it a shot. Thanks for the question.

15. I’m thinking of upgrading to QB 2015 with a subscription license I have, which give me the option to do so for free.

If I do so, would I be able to keep the 2014 version also to be able to open and send back company files to people with QB 2014?

I believe QB does not recommend keeping two versions of QB on one computer, what do you think?

16. I am currently using QB Pro 2007 and have had to take hard copies of reports to my accountant because he said his newer version of QB won’t open 2007. Is this really the case and do I need to upgrade to a newer version so I can just put my books on a flash drive to take to him? If I do need to upgrade to QB 2015, will all my data automatically transfer somehow? Thank you.

• Hi Valerie,

I think that he would be able to upgrade a copy of your 2007 file to whatever version he is using. He would have to do that every time he opened a new copy of your file that you gave him.

If you do upgrade to a newer version like 2015, your data should automatically upgrade the first time you open your company with the new software.

Thanks for the question.

• Hi Shady,

Upgrade from version 6 to version 2000? Really? That’s not a far jump between QB versions, but most modern computers aren’t going to run those old versions very well, and I suspect that’s what the problem is. If you have a computer running XP it might work. Thanks for the question.

17. My boss just purchased a new computer and also purchased and downloaded Quickbook Pro 2015. But, his old computer has Quickbooks 2011 and I can’t find his old install 2011 Quickbooks disc. How do I get the 2011 quickbooks info from his old computer to his new computer? I do not use this, so don’t know anything about Quickbooks. Any advise?

• Hi Karen,

You don’t have to worry about getting the QuickBooks 2011 program installed on the new computer. If you transfer his data over from the old computer to the new one, then open it in QuickBooks 2015, it will (should) automatically update it to QuickBooks 2015. You don’t need QuickBooks 2011 on the new computer.

Thanks for the question.

18. I’m in the process of switching bookkeepers. My old bookkeeper uses QB Enterprise 2015. My new bookkeeper uses QB Enterprise 2014. My new bookkeeper says he can’t open my company file because his 2014 version can’t recognize the 2015 version. Can my old bookkeeper save a compatible version for 2014? If not, what are my options?

Thanks

• Robert,

Yes, your bookkeeper is right: you can’t open a newer file with an older version. Your options as I see them would be to bite the bullet and upgrade to Enterprise 2015, or recreate your data from scratch in Enterprise 2014. Sorry I don’t have a magic solution.

Thanks for your question.

19. I use QB Pro on 3 computers. I have 2 that are running 2010 and 1 that is running 2013. I am wanting to upgrade to 2015 on all 3 computers. Will I be able to only purchase one upgrade to use on all 3 computers or will I have to purchase separate upgrade for each computer?

20. Hi Shannon,
    I was wondering if you could help me solve an issue that i am having with a client.
    My client is using a Canada version of QB and has a lot of data in that version. Usually i get a backup of all my clients and than i read/upgrade the backup with mine QBES.
    I’m getting the following error –> “This file was not created with the U.S version of QuickBooks”
    Is there a way that i can read the backup into the Us version?

My client is also going to upgrade his software, cause there will be more users that will work simultaneously in QB. I would advise him to use QB Pro with a 3 user license that he can buy from the amazon website. That is the US version.

Is there a way he can migrate all his data from the Canada version to the US version?

Any help will be appreciated.

• Hi Avinash,

I’m sorry, but there’s not a way to bring a Canadian company into a US version. Canadian data can only be ready by Canadian versions of QuickBooks. Thanks for the question.

• Hi Shannon, Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.
        I will manually migrate the data and company structure of this year 2015 into the QB Pro 2015 US version.
        This is the only option that i have left.

• Hi both

I too am getting the following error –> “This file was not created with the U.S version of QuickBooks” – is there a way to open the US version of the data into the UK version of QuickBooks Pro 2013?

21. can i update my company file quickbooks pro 2007 to 2015 ? if it is possible please provide me steps. i tried alot and error showing .

22. I currently have QB 2012 Premier for my PC. My co-worker has QB 2010 Premier for his Mac. All work in the file is completed on my PC but I periodically copy my Company file for QB Mac, using the utilities, for him to upload into his Mac. He doesn’t work on the file, just has the info available in case one of our customers calls and I am unavailable to take the call. I need to upgrade to the 2015 version. Will I still be able to copy to file for him and will he be able to access the info without upgrading his Mac file?

23. Hello,
    anyway, I have heard that we can export date from new version to old version and than we can use it with old version of quick books. but I don’t know clear about it. so could you give me the suggestion. thank you!

• Hi Sokkhorng,

Well, you can export some of the lists from the new version, and import them into a new company that you have created in the old version. But it wouldn’t have any balances or transactions, so I’m not sure it would be very helpful to you if you are looking for a complete set of data.

Thanks for the question.

24. I installed quickbooks pro 2015, cd, not the online version, on my desk top. For travel purposes, I bought a Microsoft surface pro 3.
    I called quickbooks and also confirm, that with one license # , and single user, I can use two different devices. as long as the two devices are not open at the same time.

I shot down my desktop compltetly, and plug my usb quickbooks back up into my tablet, but the message, keep showing “your quickbooks file is open at somewhere else, and you need to close this one”.

I definitely had my desk top shot down. Does it mean that I have to “delete the installed quickbooks on my desktop, in order to use my Surface pro 3?
    I am just a single user, with a small business.

• Hi Jennifer,

It is not a great idea to open a QuickBooks file directly on a flash drive. I would suggest that you create a backup to your local drive on your desktop machine. Copy the backup file to your USB drive. Copy the backup file from your flash drive to your Surface’s drive. Then restore the backup to your Surface’s drive. Then see where you are at…hopefully all will go well. Thanks for your question.

25. Hi,

I’m confused. I can’t back up a version of QB2015 that would be open-able in QB2012? This would be like using a newer version of word that enables you to save in earlier versions. This isn’t possible?! I’m a freelance bookkeeper and just entered all this work for someone who works off 2012. There has to be a way this is transferable, no?

Should I save as a backup for an accountant? Would that make a difference?

thanks.

26. This may not be for everyone, but there is a way to convert a 2013 or newer file to 2012.

I just successfully converted a 2013 file to 2012 for our nonprofit service organization. The old treasurer had QB2013 in her office but the incoming one only has QB2012. I have QB2015 in my office, and my wife uses QB2012 for Mac in her business. Here is what I did:

1) I backed up the company file in QB2013.
    2) I restored the backup in QB2015 and let it update the file to 2015.
    3) I exported it to a USB drive using Copy Company File for Quickbooks Mac.
    4) I restored the file on my wife’s MacBook in Quickbooks 2012 for Mac.
    5) I exported the file to Windows from inside of QB2012 Mac.
    6) I restored the backup in QB2012 for Windows.

If this were a complex company file instead of a 20MB one, I may have lost something, but everything appears to have carried over and the P&L and Balance sheet are identical with what we started with.

27. I have a client that has been using Quickbooks version 6 since the beginning and they are talking about updating. What is the newest version that can be bought that will read the Quickbooks version 6 data and not cause a big headache? They are not THAT computer literate. Any suggestions would be appreciated, since I am not a Quickbooks expert but know computers very well.

• Hi Gary,

Only versions 2013, 2015, and 2015 are currently supported, so I guess they’d want one of those. I don’t think it would make much difference between the three. Theoretically it, should upgrade when you open the version 6 file, but of course make a backup of the existing file first! The new version has a pretty different look/feel from version 6…not sure if that will pose a headache to them or not. Thanks for the question.

28. dear Shanon,
    can you please help me i have purchased a dell with windows 9 on it i want to purchase a quickbooks program earlier version if possible that will work with windows 9 and important transfer all my work data quickbooks 2003 to it earliest vresion if it will save movey to the later version
    thanks
    j. de souza

29. Hi, We have Quickbook 2012/13 however one of out client has sent file in the old format when we are trying to open we are getting message we need Quickbook 2007/08 to open it.

How we can open the file in the old format?

Any help much apprecitated.

• Manish,

If you are using 2012/13 and the file was made in 2007/08, it should ask you if you want to upgrade it when you attempt to open it. You can’t open the file in the old format without having the old software. Also, since you are describing your version in that way, I am assuming that you are using either the Australian or Asian version of QuickBooks, and the file would have to be opened in the same country edition of the software — you can’t open an Australian file with a UK version of QuickBooks, for example.

Thanks for your question.

30. In my quickbooks 2015 Enterprise Solution, the tab Inventory on Hand By site is suddenly missing.How can I do to these.That makes my balance sheet to be unbalaned.

31. We have been using Quickbooks Enterprise 9, happily… until a few days ago, when a major storm took out the neutral power to the building, and fired two of our computers. We get replacement computers, and luckily had our weekly backup of the ‘books’ – and didn’t think much of it when we installed the program on the new computers. The problem came into play when Intuit seems to no longer have the updates available for the Enterprise 9, and the computers that were killed in the storm had the updates. So, I have a backup of the books, install disc… working computers… and no way to get the updates so I can open and continue using our existing books.

We are a small company… only 3 or 4 people ever using our Quickbooks E9… and often only 1 or 2 people. So, paying 3k for the upgrade makes zero sense… for our needs. We don’t do payroll through Intuit, don’t process credit cards through them, just track inventory and print invoices & PO’s. However, we have nearly 20 years of history ‘in’ our books (since 98), that we’d just as soon not lose.

I have the hard drive from one of the computers that got fried… and IT IS FUNCTIONAL & ACCESSIBLE. I pulled all the data files without any problem, however… I’ve found that I can’t merely ‘copy’ the ‘intuit’ working folder from the old computer to the new one and have the updates recognized. Any ideas, suggestions, or help???? It would be REALLY APPRECIATED!

• Hi Terry,

The only options I can think of for you are:

* Use Enterprise 9 without the updates.

* Install the recovered hard drive into your new computer and run QuickBooks from it (although that would mean that you only have one installation of it, not the two you apparently had before).

* Look into us converting your Enterprise 9 file to a currently supported version of Premier and install Premier on your computers and use it going forward (https://quickbooksusers.com/quickbooks-enterprise-downgrade/ )

Thanks for your question.

32. I bought Quickbooks 2015 at the end of January 2015, do I have to pay again to upgraded it to Quickbooks 2016?

Thank you!

33. Hello Shannon Tucker,

I have a query, One of my client is using Australian Version of QuickBooks, now they want to Switch to QuickBooks Premier 2015. Do you provides conversion services form Australian version of QuickBooks to US Version of QuickBooks ? if yes then let me know the charges and what is the data necessary for the conversion other then company file maintained in Australian Version.

Earlier i converted UK version file to US Version with the help of 3rd party software, but now i am stuck in lot of other work, so i am searching an expert to convert the file for me.

• Hi Dave,

If I understand you right, that shouldn’t be a problem. Open a copy of your Enterprise 8 file in Enterprise 12 and it will automatically convert/upgrade it. If that’s not what you mean, or you have a problem with that, please provide details. Thanks for the question.

34. Hi Shannon,
    I have been running Quickbooks 5.0 for Windows happily for the last 20 years, most recently on a Windows 7 32 bit os. Alas I know have a new computer with Windows 7 64 bit os and 5.0 will not install. I will upgrade to Quickbooks Pro 2010 or newer but the issue is how to convert my ancient 5.0 database. I am willing to invest in older intermediate versions but do you know what versions I will need. Thanks for any assistance.
    Wes

• Hi Wes,

I’d just try to convert it straight from version 5 up to your current version. That’s a lot of versions to jump up, but it might work if your data is healthy. Please try it on a copy of your file, and not on your master, un-backed-up file! If it fails, then the copy of the file that it fails on will probably be toast. If it won’t convert up, you can send it to us and we can have a go at it. https://quickbooksusers.com/quickbooks-data-repair/

Thanks for the note.

35. Hello is there a way to send a file from 2016 version to be opened by a 2014 version? Is there a work around? Maybe save file to excel or something? Thank you

36. My old computer crashed. Can’t get anything off of it. I do not know what year the QBs were and l don’t know my License number although l know it was licensed. I have been using this version for several years so it is old. Do you have any advice on what would be the best thing to do? I am thinking of buying on line but I need to be sure the data l have on my disk can be transfered to a different version. Help!!!

• Hi June,

That’s a bummer. Assuming that you were running a Windows version of QuickBooks Pro or Premier, what I would do is to go buy a new copy of QuickBooks Pro 2016 (or Premier 2016, if that’s what you were using before). Install it on your new computer. You apparently have a good backup that was kept off your old computer. Restore that backup on the new computer with QuickBooks 2016. It should upgrade it to the 2016 version, and you’ll be good to go. Thanks for the question.

37. My brothers accountant sent me a USB drive of his company files so that I could help them input 2 years of information. I purchased QuickBooks 2016. However when I restore his company it looks like it is a 2013 version of QuickBooks and it tells me it cannot do it in the older version unless I upgrade. If I do the upgrade and put all of the company information for the last 2 years, back it up on a USB drive and send it to his accountant for them to restore, will it restore on QuickBooks 2013?
    Thank you.

• Hi Nicky,

No, once the file is upgraded to version 2016, it won’t be openable in 2013 anymore. You’ll either need to get a copy of 2013 and do your work in it, or he’ll have to upgrade to 2016. Thanks for the question.

38. My old computer had Quickbooks Premier Contractor Edition 2013 ~ bought a new computer and had to get info transferred from the old to the new one. Quickbooks 2013 was installed online when I upgraded and I never received a disk ~ the computer tech had only a disk for Quickbooks 2012 when he was transferring and downloading info to the new comouter ~ I need to now upgrade to Quickbooks 2016 ~ is my old information from 2013 ok with the 2012 the tech installed or do I need to upgrade to 2016 and then make sure everything is still saved. I have a back up flash drive for the last time I used Quickbooks 2013. What do I need to do so I do not lose files or my payroll records. Thank you

39. hi i had saved my quickbooks enterprise 2011( uk version) company files on a usb drive.
    if i downloaded quickbooks enterprise 2014 will i be able to open my company files??

• Hi Branham,

If you download and install QB Enterprise 2014 UK, and copy those 2011 files from the USB drive to your computer’s hard drive, you should then be able to open them in the 2014 version. Thanks for your question.

40. Ok here is a doozie.

we are running Quickbooks 2007….YUP 2007. We want to upgrade to 2016. We have a team of programmers here. Is there a way for me to get a database structure of 2007 and 2016 so that we can write a script to move 240 sites from the old old old version to the new version

• Hi Stanley,

Assuming that the Pro 2010 backup was made with the Canadian version, then yes, you can restore that backup in a Canadian edition of 2016. Thanks for your question.

41. Shannon,

We have a client who uses QuickBooks Premier Contractor Edition 2013. They backed up their files on an external hard drive for our review and use. Our office uses QuickBooks Pro 2015. When we try to restore the backed up data we are receiving the following error message “The company file needs to be updated. Please ask your QuickBooks Administrator to update the file”. Please let us know what we need to do to view the data on the QuickBooks Premier Contractor Edition 2013. Thank you for your assistance.

• Hi Maria,

Your 2015 Pro version should be able to restore (and upgrade) their Premier 2013 edition, and when you try to restore the file, it should ask if you want to upgrade it. It is not doing that, right? Try logging in to the file as the admin, and it should let you upgrade the file. (Please know that once you successfully restore it, that file won’t be openable or restoreable by your client…2013 can’t open a 2015 file.) Thanks for your question.

42. Good morning… I am running QB Pro 2011 w/ 3 user lic. We have 4 companies that we run thru this system and it is working seamlessly. We have now purchased a new business that we want to add to our QB and with that business, they are running QB 2015. I do not feel the need to upgrade our core company from 2011 edition as everything is still functioning seamlessly. Can I take the files from the new company and bring them back to 2011 version from the current 2015 that they are under ?
    If not, am I forced to upgrade my core company and if so, what would be the process to make it as seamless as possible.
    Based on what I have been reading on line, it does not sound like a upgrade to QB 2016 would be my best bet. Too much negative feedback.
    What would be your thoughts ?

• Hi David,

Unfortunately, going backwards in versions is not possible with a QuickBooks data file. So probably your best bet is to buy a 3-user license of QB 2015, upgrade your existing 2011 files to 2015, and move forward with the whole lot under 2015.

Your 2011 files should upgrade automatically to 2015 when you first open them in 2015. Thanks for your question.