You bought a new version of QuickBooks, and you’re about to install it on your computer. But you are a little worried about how to transfer your data from the old version to your new version.

No worries. It should be automatic (but see caveats below).

You install and register your new version of QuickBooks. Then you click on Open Existing Company. Navigate to your company file and open it. QuickBooks will see that your company file exists in an earlier version and needs updating.

It will ask you if you’re sure you want to upgrade your file to the new version. The process is irreversible, so QuickBooks gets your confirmation before proceeding.

Once you confirm, QuickBooks will update your company file to your new version. It might take a few minutes if your file is a large one.

That’s it! Your company file has been revised to work with your new version of QuickBooks.

CAVEATS:

• Make sure that you make a backup of your data before opening it in the new version. Probably the easiest way to do that is to do so in your old version of QuickBooks, before you install the new version. Just to make things perfectly clear, include in the name of your backup file something like Pre-converted
  • If there is some data corruption in your file, it may fail the process of being converted to the new version. Data repair may be needed.
  • If you are making a jump of many versions (e.g. coming from QuickBooks 2006 to QuickBooks 2014), the chances are greater that the file will have trouble converting.
  • For large files, be patient with the process. It might seem as thought QuickBooks is freezing up, but it might be just “thinking about it”.

RELATED: What to Do When QuickBooks Is (Not Responding)

How to Get Ready for a QuickBooks Upgrade

What If My QuickBooks File Won’t Upgrade?

Should I Upgrade to QuickBooks 2014…Now?

Do you have any experience to share about transferring your company data into your new version of QuickBooks?

372 thoughts on “How to Transfer Files from Older Version to New Version of QuickBooks

1. Hi-

I have version 2003 quickbooks basic that I need to upgrade.

Can I upload the data file to the cloud version of quickbooks on line?

Thank you.

2. Is it possible to transfer part of a years transactions to another qb file that has the other half of the years transactions?

3. When upgrading from Premier Pro 2014 to 2015 and then again from 2015 to 2016 many of the documents that I saved in the attachments folders for Vendors and Clients were lost. How can I prevent this from happening? The first year they were able to recover the documents. The second year not so much. I have worked twice this year with Support. The first time they were able to recover some of the documents. The second time they recovered other documents but lost some of those that were recovered the first time (nightmare!!!). I’m scared to update again.

• This would be fine if my logo disappeared. I fixed that.
        First of all, we have not changed the name in 5 years. If QB is changing the name I don’t know what I’m supposed to do about that.
        Where would i find the file for the attachments?
        Why is everything in the QB 2015 file when I upgraded to QB 2016?
        There really has to be a better way!!!

4. I have a QuickBooks Pro 2007 version that Im wanting to upgrade to QuickBooks Pro 2016..Will I have any trouble?

5. We had 2007 installed and had a motherboard failure. Pulled the HDD and all files are intact. Can’t find the old CD but we do have 2008 Startup. Can we use the “Open Existing Company” option to bring the old file in? Early attempts made by another user resulted in an error and I haven’t had a chance to work on it yet. Just asking ahead of time to see if I need to do anything before I attempt. Thanks!

6. Hi . I’ve recently started working for a company that uses a new version of quick books pro. However, there is a old computer with v old customer accounts held on version 5. Although we hardly use this computer it is occasionally useful to find out some old info. I would love to ditch the old computer ( takes up valuable space), is there anyway to get the information off it? Even a hard copy would be OK…

7. I am currently using QuickBooks 2013, I have purchased the 2016 version and installed it on my new computer, but when I try to access my company information, my company name does not appear.
    What am I doing wrong?

• Hi Janice,

Did you bring your company file(s) over to the new computer from the old computer? Did you put the file(s) in a folder where you can find them, like \Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files? If so, then you should be able to Open an Existing Company, navigate to the folder on your new computer where you placed the files, see your company, and open it…

• I don’t have a file called Company Files – Right now I put them on the desktop which made some extra files and I can’t click on the QB logo (I’m using 2015 from 2009). I’m not sure where to put these files so I can only use the QB icon to open my company (I hope this all made sense)

• Hi Pam,

You can put the files on your Windows Desktop if you want…it will create some additional files there, and also create some additional folders, but as long as that doesn’t bother you it’s OK.

I’m not sure what you mean about clicking the QB logo. You should have a QuickBooks program icon on your desktop for your particular version. If you double click it, it should launch the program. Or, you could click the Start button, All Programs, QuickBooks, and your particular version of QuickBooks — that also will launch QuickBooks.

Hope that helps. Thanks for your question.

8. I have been using Enterprise 2006 for many years and now would like to downgrade to 2015 Pro. How can I transfer my files to the newer but downgraded version?

9. I just recently updated my Quickbooks 2013 to Quickbooks 2016. I tried to open/restore the company file but it keeps telling me an error. I’ve done what it has asked me to do but it still will not work. Is there something I am doing wrong?

• Dani,

It sounds like the data was corrupted in 2013, although you didn’t know it. That’s why the upgrade of the file failed. Hopefully you have a backup of your data that was made before you tried upgrading to 2016. If so, open the file again in 2013. Click File / Utilities / Rebuild Data and let that process complete. Then backup the file, close Quickbooks, open QuickBooks 2016, open the file and let it try upgrading it again. Maybe it will work then. If not, we should be able to repair and upgrade it for you. https://quickbooksusers.com/quickbooks-data-repair/

Thanks for your question.

10. Good morning Mr.Shannon Tucker!!
    I saw a lot of questions and reply as above comment,but for me it’s different from them with all above question.Look at my Computer is windows XP and when I called IT to install the QB they have installed QB premiers 2013 only.So now service expires on 31-May-16.How can I do?I want to keep the service still the same like before and no need to upgrade to the newest version as I windows Xp is not possible with the newest version.
    I am waiting your comment soon.

• Hi Samagh,

Windows XP is not considered a secure operating system anymore, so you should move to a different version of Windows anyway. But if you want to keep using Windows XP and QB 2013 on that computer, you can do that, but your online services in QuickBooks won’t work anymore. If you need online services, you’ll need to upgrade to a more recent version of QuickBooks. Thanks for your question.

11. If I install Quickbooks Pro 2016 on a new Win10 computer (because my current QB Pro 2011 is on an old XP) can I just bring over a backup copy of my company file and expect the new QB to read & convert it automatically?

12. Hello Mr. Tucker. I have Quickbooks Pro 2008 Canadian on a Windows 7 laptop and am having trouble transferring the company file to Quickbooks Pro 2015 Canadian on a Windows 10 computer. I get error code (-6123,0).

13. Am currently using QuickBooks 2007/2008 version in Singapore which licence will expire In mid Jun 2017. I intend to purchase new PCs & upgrade the software to Reckon Accounts 2016 Premier & would like to know whether I can migrate existing QB2007/2008 data to Reckon Accounts 2016 with my new computers.

• Hi Shannon,
        Many thanks for your swift reply. Am using the 2007/2008 Australian version. Will there be any problem to migrate all my existing data to Reckon Accounts 2016 into my new PC with Window 10?

• Wendy,

If the Australian version behaves like the US or Canadian versions, I would guess it will migrate OK. But I’d ask the question on the forum I mentioned to see if other users have tried it. Or you could check directly with Reckon support.

14. Hi Shannon, We have Quickbooks Premier 2010 with 30 user licences and would like to upgrade to Quickbooks Premier 2016. Would we need to purchase QB 2016 with 30 user license? And would the QB 2016 automatically convert the files from QB 2010 to the newest version? And what if the 2016 cant convert the 2010 files? Thank you!

• Hi Liam,

Unfortunately, QuickBooks Premier can only be used with a maximum of 5 licenses. To run it with 30 licenses, you have to upgrade to QuickBooks Enterprise.

Apart from the licensing consideration, yes, your 2010 file should automatically upgrade to 2016 when you first open it in 2016. If it can’t, then it’s because the file has data corruption in it, and that would have to be repaired before the file would upgrade.

Thanks for your question.

15. If I restore a backup copy of a Quickbooks 2013 company file in Quickbooks 2016, will the original company file still work in Quickbooks 2013? I know that if you just open the Quickbooks 2013 company file and convert it, it is no longer usable in 2013. However I am wondering if it might be different when you restore a backup. Thanks.

16. Once an upgrade is done is it possible to still have access to the older version in case any information is lost? We would be upgrading from Quickbooks Pro 2010 to 2016. It is vital that we not lose any piece of information that is currently in our system. We have the current version backed up.

• Hi Lindsey,

You can have both QB 2010 and QB 2016 installed on your computer at the same time. You have the current version backed up — that’s good. You should be good to proceed. Thanks for your question.

17. upgrading quickbooks pro 2012 to quickbooks premier 2016, it is a network install with 5 lics. what process should be used to accomplish this? does the server need to be rebooted after the install? doe the new install go right over the top of the old install? or does the new 2016 version go into a new directory? do we need to uninstall the old one (2012 pro) first? thanks for your advice,

18. I am getting an error message (-6123,0) when trying to go from an older version 2007 Premier edition Contractor to 2016 Premier for non-profits. The volunteer before me used the contractor version for a non-profit woman’s club, I got voted in treasurer so I purchase Premier 2016 for non-profits and can’t open her version. Any Ideas??

• Hi RJ,

Try closing QuickBooks, then in Windows / My Computer, find the QBW file, move it to a different folder, then run QuickBooks 2016 again, Open Existing Company, navigate to the file and try to open it. If that doesn’t work, then the file is probably damaged and you’ll need to get it repaired. Thanks for the question.

19. Hi I am trying to upgrade QB2010 to 2015 using a free trail of 2015 to then transfer to online QB.

When I try to upgrade in 2015 it says that the 2010 is too old to upgrade directly.

is there anything I can do to resolve this please

• Hi Amy,

That’s strange. 2010 should not be too old to upgrade directly…people upgrade from that version or older all the time. What exactly does the error message say? Will your file verify without errors in the 2010 version?

20. Hi,
    we are wanting to update QuickBooks accounting 2011/12 to Reckon Accounts Plus 2016.
    question are…
    -The earlier version does not have Class function available, however the new version does .. Am I going to have any problems upgrading with existing data?
    – I think they may have Microsoft office 2003, I am not sure what version of windows they are running but I imagine it will be old. Will I be able to upgrade with current system?

Thanks
    Anna

21. I have QB 2014 and my mother has 2012, I am needing to start taking over her books due to illness. Can I go back and forth between these two versions so I can do her books whenever I am at her business then transfer to work at my house, then take back and reload there? or will it not backup back to the 2012 once I’ve worked on it in 2014? Do I need to just upgrade all the computers I will be working on to 2016(which is what I am planning on doing, I have purchased it but has not arrived yet) I don’t want to go QB online…mostly for price, but also as I will eventually ditch her old computer and just use my laptop soon.

• Hi Jon,

You won’t be able to pass the file between those two versions, because once you open it in 2014, the data can’t be read by 2012 anymore. I think your idea of getting both computers on 2016 sounds good; each should be able to read the same file then. Thanks for your question.

22. Hi,
    We updated to quick books 2011 in 2011. Things were fine until our computer failed about two mounts ago. We were able to transfer all of our data from our old hard drive to our new computer and everything including quick books worked fine but it said we had to register and started timing down from 30 days. So we hit the register button and started putting in all of our info. including product code etc. from the box. It didn’t recognize our info. After calling quick books for help and talking to two different supervisors it was found that someone else had our product code and it was registered for another company! They gave me a case # and said they would investigate and call me back. I have not heard from them and I only a few days left until the registration times out again. At this point I am fine with upgrading to the 2016 version but I am very concerned that I may have issues with my info transferring or problems with quick books due to this issue.
    Thanks,

• Hello John,

Troubleshooting registration issues like that can only be done through Intuit themselves. Hopefully they will get back to you in a timely way. Otherwise, if you install 2016, you should be able to open your 2011 file and 2016 will upgrade it for you automatically. Just make sure you have a copy of your company file saved off somewhere else before you try opening it in 2016. Thanks for your question.

23. Hello Shannon,
    I just purchased QuickBooks Pro 2016 for my home office computer. I keep books for a construction company and have been using his computer – his software is QuickBooks Pro 2008. I keep getting error messages when I try to “restore” the backup file I have from his computer. Am I going about this all wrong? Do I need to set his entities up (he has 4) on my computer and then restore his files to my computer?

• Hi Debbie,

No, you don’t need to set anything up on your computer. It sounds like there may be some data corruption that is either being caused by, or triggered by, the upgrade in the company file from version 2008 to version 2016. If you run Verify Data (File / Utilities / Verify Data) on his version of QuickBooks, will it pass?

24. I installed Quickbooks 2016 version on computer, was using 2003 version. I know am unable to open any of my 2003 files. help!!

25. My company is trying to convert an old Quick Books accounts to a new account in Quick Books, but I haven’t found a way yet to do it without re-entering all the information into the new named Quick Books. Can you help? If s, thank you!

• Kathy,

Theoretically, any old QuickBooks company file can be upgraded to a current version of QuickBooks just by opening the company in the new version. Is that what is failing? What happens when you try it?

26. I am using Quickbook Premier 2011/2012,product of Australia.I renewed the license by the end of 2014 by paying SGD30 registered on the website at http://www.qcombiz.asia..However, I just change to new computer and found that I cannot re-activate my Quickbbook again by this website. What shall I do?Does it mean that I can no longer use 2011/2012 version and need to upgrade to 2016 version?

27. Shannon, I have a 2015 version QB for MAC and am trying to upgrade from a 2012 QB for MAC version. This new version is not as simple as you write. There is an “Attachments Library” that is different then it’s ever been before. Surely you must know about this. When you download, you get “Restor Instructions” but I can’t wrap my head around it. That’s what I need help with, Can you help?

28. Hi

I have quickbook 2013 pro, i have a company file from quickbook enterprise which i want to open using quickbook 2013.
    How do i go about it?

Isaac

29. Hi, for various reasons I won’t bore you with, we still use QB 2002 Pro desktop on Windows 7 Professional. We are looking to move to QBO and having looked through the existing Q&As regards file conversions, I am wondering whether a) there is a clear documented path/flowchart and b) whether intuit are happy to provide (temporary) interim QB versions to allow these conversions to eventually get to QB 2016 and then QBO? Regards, Eddie

30. I probably have one of the oldest versions of QuickBooks (Ver. 3.0) and have been using it for a long time now. In 2000, I purchased version 2000 and attempted to upgrade but was not able to convert my data file. I am still interested to upgrade my QuickBooks but can not let go of my old data.
    I cannot release my data file for out-of-house conversion.
    Is there a solution to this dilemma? Can I convert the file myself?
    Thanks

• Hello Aref,

Wow, that is an old version. If it wouldn’t convert to the 2000 version back in the day, it’s not going to convert to anything recent now. Sorry. Your best bet is probably just to create a new company in a new version, key in current accounts and balances and go forward. You might be able to save a little time by trying to export/import your account list from the old file to the new. Good luck, and thanks for the question.

• Joseph,

That’s a big jump, but it’s theoretically possible that when you try to open that file in QB 2016, it will successfully upgrade it to the new version. No way to know except to give it a try. Thanks for your question.

31. We have QuickBooks 2009 currently running on only one computer. We were looking to upgrade to possibly 2015. If we wanted to upgrade, would we have to backup our current files and then download the new version? Or if we got a newer version would all the data be transferred already?

32. Hi.
    My name is Steven. I have a back up for a company in Quickbooks 2010. It has financial data from the start of the company to December 2015. But i had created a new company in Quickbooks 2015 from Jan 2016 to date. We need to do financial audit for the year Jul15 to Jun16. Can i merge this data automatically without re-entering it manually?

Please help.

• Hi Steven,

No easy way to do that. You can check out some of the tools that baystateconsulting.com offers to export/import transactions. You might be able to pull a composite company together with it. Thanks for your question.

33. Hi Shannon,
    I have a 2010 version of Quickbooks Pro on my old computer with Windows. XP. I used to use it for my two retail stores which I closed years ago. I added a 3rd company several years ago for our small church as I am the treasurer. I now have a new laptop with Windows 10 for the church and I want to upgrade just the church data into the new Quickbooks Pro 2016. Can I do this and do you foresee any problems? I have never used any of the online functions like Payroll for any of my 3 companies. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

34. I use quickbooks pro 2010 for my small business. I’ve had Windows 10 installed on my computer since it became available last year. Yesterday I tried to open quickbooks pro 2010 and it wouldn’t. After logging in my password, I get a box stating that program stopped working and it closes out. What’s going on? Last week I installed the most recent Windows 10 updates. Would that have anything to do with my problem?

35. Hi ,Hope you can help me?
    I’m currently Running QuickBooks pro 2008 and a few days ago I could still do an invoice and email it from quickbooks ,but as from today I cannot send any invoices ,when trying to send invoice via email it does not open my email package (Microsoft outlook),it only opens a pdf .
    I’m thinking there could be a problem with my QuickBooks converter or …?
    Any suggestions?

• Hi Bennie,

QuickBooks 2008 was in the era of ongoing problems creating PDFs. It was just really fragile. Are you running QB under Windows 10? There was a Windows 10 update that came out that seem to cause grief to older versions of QuickBooks, and your problem may be one manifestation of that. No fix I know of, sorry. Thanks for your question.

• Shannon, you seem to know a lot about Quickbooks, and I REALLY REALLY hope you can give me some guidance. I, too, have a 2011 version of QB Pro, and based on your comment above, I purchased a disk of QB2017 from Amazon, hoping it would convert the files. I encountered two problems.

First, the outside of the package said that I had to scratch off a label to reveal the license number. Despite my best efforts to do this gently, the adhesive they used on the label took part of the license number off with it, rendering the disk unusable. That is just inexcusably poor package design.

The 2nd problem is that after going through phone menu hell to reach QB Customer Service (which seems to be outsourced overseas), I was informed that it is IMPOSSIBLE
        to convert or upload my 2011 files to the new 2017 version without their help. Instead, I need to re-purchase the product from them for $299, and they will convert the files for me and that I can still receive a refund for the $199 I already paid for the program. He made clear that Quickbooks automatically upgrades for only 18 months or so after a version has been replaced by the next one.

Do you have any insight into what I was told, and do you think I should go through this customer service department to install the new software?

• Hi Martin,

Wow, what a pain. I have not heard about the license sticker problem, nor the 18 months limitation on upgrading. That has never been the case, and it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me since they support versions going three years back. I haven’t heard of anyone else running into that.

Were you able to get 2017 installed and try to open your 2011 file? Did you get a particular error?

36. Shannon, thank you so much for getting back to me. I called Amazon, which sent me the 2017 disk, explained the problem with the label, and they sent me a new one, plus a label to return the bad one. This label scratched off with no problem. It wasn’t intuitive and I had to bumble through it a little, but just as you said, the new program converted my old 2011 files to 2017 automatically during setup.

What bothers me is that two different CSR’s for Intuit told me that it would be “impossible” for me to install QB2017 and convert files on my own. Both told me that I had to pay them $100 more than I did to get the program installed and running. That does not endear me to Intuit, but i am glad I didn’t fall for their “sales” pitch; and I am going to spread the word to help save others from doing so as well. Thanks again for your help.

• Hi Martin,

Thanks for the update on your situation. I’m glad you were able to get a new license and get your files upgraded OK. That’s strange about the upgrade advice you got. I’ll keep my ears open to see if I hear other reports like that. Thanks again.

37. Hello! I recently took over a small business account using Quickbooks Pro 2007. I am the latest in a long line of treasurers for a volunteer board. I was able to use the 2007 version on my computer for two months after installing. Since that time, every time I try to open Quickbooks it says I have reached the max number of unregistered users. Unfortunately, our organization doesn’t have the original registration information and Quickbooks support can’t help because it is an old version. They’ve told me I need to upgrade, which we are preapred to do. Do I just open my saved 2007 file in 2017 and it will convert and transfer data? Even though I can’t get into the old version of Quickbooks? Luckily, I did back up to a flash drive the last time I worked! Many thanks!

38. Will quickbooks 2009 operate on windows 10? I just bought a new computer and still have the installation disc and info for my QB 2009. I bought qb 2017 assuming the 2009 wouldn’t operate but haven’t installed it yet. Or what is the process for transfering my company info from old computer to new computer if/when I install 2017 on it? Your help is much appreciated. Thanks.

39. I just recently updated my Quickbooks 2013 USA version to Quickbooks 2017 Canada version. I tried to open/restore the company file but it keeps telling me an error. I’ve done what it has asked me to do but it still will not work. What can I do to make it work? HELP PLEASE!

40. I have QB Pro 2011 and considering upgrading to QB Pro 2017. I am currently using a stand alone PC operating Windows XP. I am planning on upgrading to Windows 7 and would like to have any suggestions on what else to ask my IT folks.

Steve

41. I purchased Quickbooks 2017 to upgrade my 2011 program. My computer would not download it because of an error EXEAdapter. I called quickbooks and they said it was a microsoft problem. The framework needed for quickbooks 2017 I guess it 4.6 and my windows 7 does not have enough RAM. I am downloading to my new laptop instead, so my question is, can I take a backup from my old computer and 2011 Quickbooks and update my 2017 quickbooks with the accounting?

42. Hello,

We are upgrading from QuickBooks Pro Plus 2014 to QuickBooks Pro 2017. We have to start a new company. Will all of our open invoices be transferred over into the new company?

• Hi Emily,

You shouldn’t have to create a new company in QuickBooks. If you open your existing company in QB Pro 2017, it should automatically upgrade it — nothing should be lost or need to be reentered. Thanks for your question.

• I guess I should have explained more.

Our company file has gotten too large for QuickBook to house. We have to eliminate old/inactive customers and vendors. Since QuickBooks does not allow this, we have to create a brand new company. We know we will be able to copy all active customers, vendors, chart of accounts, lists, etc. We are worried about the open invoices because partial payments have been applied and we cannot simply just make new invoices. Do you know of a way or even a company that would be able to help us with this?

43. Hello. I have been an Intuit customer including QB and TurboTax since 1994.

Currently, I am using QuickBooks Mac 2009 and looking at upgrading to QuickBooks Mac 2016 (or 2017 if it’s coming out soon). It uses .qb2009 file format.

Reading other postings and your replies appear to suggest that I shouldn’t have problem upgrading my working file to the current version, and I would like to confirm that by sending this comment / request to you.

If it isn’t, I would like to know what I need to do beforehand.

Thank you and have a great day!

• Thank you for your response.

Yes, I realized that this forum is actually for QuickBooks for Windows after the fact.

I have spent some time searching for the answer of my question, and I have not been able to confirm yet.

What I am thinking right now is to do the transitional upgrade: maybe to QB Mac 2012 for now (which coincides to OS 10.9 that I am using), then to QB Mac 2016 that only works with OS 10.10 and newer (no 2017 will be released, I found out).