You bought a new version of QuickBooks, and you’re about to install it on your computer. But you are a little worried about how to transfer your data from the old version to your new version.

No worries. It should be automatic (but see caveats below).

You install and register your new version of QuickBooks. Then you click on Open Existing Company. Navigate to your company file and open it. QuickBooks will see that your company file exists in an earlier version and needs updating.

It will ask you if you’re sure you want to upgrade your file to the new version. The process is irreversible, so QuickBooks gets your confirmation before proceeding.

Once you confirm, QuickBooks will update your company file to your new version. It might take a few minutes if your file is a large one.

That’s it! Your company file has been revised to work with your new version of QuickBooks.

CAVEATS:

• Make sure that you make a backup of your data before opening it in the new version. Probably the easiest way to do that is to do so in your old version of QuickBooks, before you install the new version. Just to make things perfectly clear, include in the name of your backup file something like Pre-converted
  • If there is some data corruption in your file, it may fail the process of being converted to the new version. Data repair may be needed.
  • If you are making a jump of many versions (e.g. coming from QuickBooks 2006 to QuickBooks 2014), the chances are greater that the file will have trouble converting.
  • For large files, be patient with the process. It might seem as thought QuickBooks is freezing up, but it might be just “thinking about it”.

RELATED: What to Do When QuickBooks Is (Not Responding)

How to Get Ready for a QuickBooks Upgrade

What If My QuickBooks File Won’t Upgrade?

Should I Upgrade to QuickBooks 2014…Now?

Do you have any experience to share about transferring your company data into your new version of QuickBooks?

376 thoughts on “How to Transfer Files from Older Version to New Version of QuickBooks

1. “We have been using Quick books for small business 2002 for many years. However, our old computer is about to give out and we need to think about getting a newer version and transferring our data to our laptop which runs on windows vista. I need to know which older version will support QB 2002 and vista. I am thinking Quick books 2007 or 2009. What would you suggest?”

2. How much for the upgrading? Currently, we are using Intuit Quickbooks Accounting Pro Edition 2011.

• Hi Pacific,

Do you mean upgrading your program, or your data? We don’t sell software so I can’t answer the question if it means buying the software. If you mean upgrading your data, you can do that yourself just by opening your company file under the newer version. Make sure you have a good backup of it made in QB 2011 before you try the upgrade, in case something goes wrong. Thanks for your question.

3. I have QuickBooks 2015 on my iMac and purchased QB2016 for my laptop for when I’m out of the office. Can I input info on my laptop (QB 16) and use a flash drive to update my iMac (QB 15)?

4. Someone may have asked this one before but here goes anyway. I have QB Premier 09/10. It runs very well but my computer is giving me grief and I’m considering dumping it and buying a Mac desktop. I’ll probably need to purchase a new version of QB.

1. Do latest version of QB work with latest Mac OS?
    2. Will backed up data have any issues transferring from an XP platform?
    3. Last time I did an update of my version of QB, my whole program went kaput and I lost all my existing data. It took over a week to fix it with my backed up data. Any such problems still out there of which you are aware.

In a nutshell, is the latest version of QB worth it and will my backed up data from Premier 09/10 transfer to it if I purchase a Mac?

Love your work – cheers…

5. Hello ,
    I am looking to upgrade from a copy of Quickbooks Pro 2009 to Quickbooks Pro 2017 .. Will the company file convert or should I be looking at a older version of quickbooks? Thanks for your time .

• Hi Mike,

If the file is healthy, there’s no reason to expect that it won’t convert to version 2017. I don’t think it would matter if you tried to upgrade to 2017 versus 2015 (the last supported version). Just make sure you make a backup of your data before you attempt the upgrade. If for some reason it fails, you’ll need that backup…

Thanks for your question.

6. Cannot get Quickbooks Pro 2012 to restore data from Quickbooks Pro 2006. Is 2006 too old for backups to work with 2012 version?

What is the step-by-step process to make it work?

7. I have quickbooks 2006, been working great but old laptop decided to die. I thought it would be good idea just to get another old laptop & install the 2006 version that I have on disc then transfer data from old hard drive. Doesn’t work states quickbooks that i installed from cd needs updating but fails to update if I try. Any ideas? Perhaps get a newer version of quickbooks then transfer data? If I install quickbooks 2010 would it he the data from external hard drive & convert?
    Tia

8. Try as I might, I cannot upgrade my 08 company files to 16. But only on one of the companies I use, the others are fine. So I have tried to have both qb versions on my pc but installing 16 overights and deletes 08. What can I do please?

• Hi Lisa,

Sounds like there is something in that one file that prevents it from upgrading properly…data corruption, perhaps. We can repair/upgrade it for you, see https://quickbooksusers.com/quickbooks-data-repair/

You should be able to have both versions on your computer at the same time. You might have to do the custom install option instead of the default option when you install 2016. There’s nothing that says you can only have one version installed.

Thanks for your question.

9. Hi, my client is working with QB2008 US Edition and needs to upgrade for Vat in UAE. now he needs to upgrade the same version to QB2016 UK Edition to cop-up with vat. will it work??? how can i migrate his QB2008 data to 2006. in UK edition. what is the best way to handle>>>

• Hi Muhammad,

Unfortunately, you can’t migrate from one country edition to another. The taxes and other things are too different. You’ll have to create a new company in QuickBooks 2016 UK. You can export/import some of the lists, but there will probably be quite a bit of manual work. Thanks for your question.