I love my smartphone because when I’m not behind my desk, I can still do almost everything associated with my job.
- Check and reply to business emails quickly
- Take business calls, forwarded from my main desk phone number
- Manage user accounts and jobs
- Admin our QuickBooks user forum
- Moderate blog comments, and reply to them
- Tweet, reply, retweet, follow — anything Twitter
- Follow LinkedIn discussions I’m tracking
- Gmail chat my family (ok, that’s not a business thing, but is really cool)
- Listen to Pandora (ditto)
So if I’m on the road or even just checking email in a restaurant parking lot after lunch, I’m just as connected as I would be at my desk. That makes for better business communication, faster responses, and quicker customer service. Rocks.
I think the biggest competitive advantage small businesses can have is faster and more personal responses to opportunities and customers. And that’s a door that smartphones can open. Smartphones make it *much* easier to stay connected to your online network.
How about you? Is a smartphone an important part of your business life?